Crescent Moon Rituals and Community Care

Every crescent moon my mother and her sisters cook huge pots of rice and sweet rice to feed members of our spiritual community. I've been brought up around these ideals and ideas about how we create community, uphold community practises so they become tradition and how a community can care for each other.

Over the past weeks Ive been interviewing members of my family, laundrette workers and friends who work closely with mutual aid in Glasgow about the word community and the word care. We have been speaking about the space of Laundrettes becoming either a real meeting place for community or a more metaphorical kind of community space.

In these images I documented my mother making the monthly traditional meal that will feed over 40 people in our community, a tradition that has been upheld for generations in my family. Usually all members would come to my family house to eat this meal together but because of Covid-19 my mother has been cooking alone and making home deliveries to everyone. 

Eating as a community is something that can bring people and their stories together - perhaps this is something that could happen in the spaces of laundrettes. 

Comments